1.19.2011

Bibliophiles beware...DIY vintage book collage

I LOVE books, but I also love making art out of them. Sorry. If tearing pages out of books makes you squeamish, look away now. If it makes it any better I try to find really boring looking vintage books to rip up, I would never rip up my copy of A Tale of Two Cities, or Robinson Crusoe.


Materials
  1. Vintage books (if this idea TOTALLY kills you you can use anything and then just tea stain it to look old), old hymnals, or sheets of music
  2. Mod Podge
  3. Paint
  4. Stencils (or you can free hand it and be WAY more artistic than me!) I use the helvetica stencils from Michaels
  5. Paintbrush
  6. Canvas
  7. Old magazines (I use Anthropologie magazine)
First rip out all the pages you are going to use and start to arrange them how you want them on your canvas

Once you have an idea where everything is going, start with your bottom piece and Mod Podge away. Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge on the canvas where your book page is going and flatten the page to the canvas. If you are not careful you will get air bubbles, so make sure to go slow and flatten all the way.

When you have Mod Podged the whole thing to the canvas spread a generous amount of Mod Podge over the whole thing to really seal it in and stick it down. It dries clear, but make sure there is an even amount all the way around. **Let dry completely. I let mine dry all night**


At this point I cut out  some decorative elements out of some Anthropologie catalogs.

It is now time to stencil (or free hand you lucky artistic folks!) whatever you want. I chose a bible verse for mine. Matthew 6:30.

Hang on the wall an admire your new artwork. I would have loved to use more or my Anthropologie cut outs, but the verse was pretty long!


 
Love, Sav

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! Let's get together and craft! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much that it is going on my list of gifts to make for Christmas! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much that it is going on my list of gifts to make for Christmas. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete