Hello readers! Today I want to share with you something that is dear, but not so near my heart. : )
I love the feeling of a clean home. I love walking in the door and being at ease knowing the house is clean...it makes me tense to walk into a dirty house. Maybe because I grew up with an obsessively clean father who banned all sponges, threw away every scrap of
important homework, legal documents, bills clutter in the whole house, and scrubbed the house including the toilets and windowsills before we could even THINK of leaving on vacation.
**Flashback to sitting in the car waiting for dad to finished washing the base boards so we could leave for Disneyland**
That being said it is hard for me to motivate myself to clean. When the task seems overwhelming I would rather run away from the mess than tackle it. It makes a very stressed out person out of me. As I mentioned in previous post it is hard for me to clean and organize with out clear guidelines and tools. I am going to share my "Cleaning Agenda" with you in hope that it will inspire you to get into the habit of having a clean home whether or not company is coming over...come on folks I know we all do it! : )
First of all credit where credit is due I got my cleaning agenda from the wonderful Mrs. Flylady, and adapted it for my needs. Like I have no children so doing laundry once a week suits me just fine!
- Change linens (I try to do this every OTHER monday)
- Do laundry
- Vacuum every room
- Sweep + mop bathroom(s) and kitchen
- Clean all windows, mirrors, and doors
- Water plants
- Clean stove top and oven
- Empty all trashcans (like I said, adapted to my life...my trash gets picked up on Wednesdays)
- Clean out fridge/cupboards
- Write thank you cards, letters, emails, etc.
- Work on weekly menus and shopping lists
- Errand day!
- Check to bank (every other week)
- Target run, Trader Joes and Safeway shopping
- Deep clean house. 15-20 minute clean in each room if needed. Or sometimes I focus on deep cleaning one room each week and do the daily 5 minute clean of each room.
- Check car fluids( once a month)
- Clean out car
- Make bed as soon as you get up
- 5 minute "mini clean" of each room.
- Stay on top of dishes by washing as you go and filling the dishwasher slowly over the whole day or few days to a) have a place to put those dirty dishes you don't want to wash and b) save water by not running it everytime you have a meal.
- Don't go to bed until all sinks are empty and shiny!
This list of course is not exhaustive, there are different needs for different families. But I hope this is a good generic guide for you to go off of to jump start cleaning habits! I slip up, and actually need to be better about following my own advice! A clean home is a happy home, and a happy home means a happy momma and wife! : )
What are your cleaning routines or strategies?